Looking after yourself is not selfish or self-indulgent ~ it is a necessity! In our busy day-to-day lives we might not always take the time to check in with our Self. So please, I would like you to make yourself a comforting hot drink in your favourite mug, get comfortable, and spend an hour or […]
Tarotmum13 was one of the first friends I made when I joined WordPress. I love reading tarot cards and so various tarot blogs where the first blogs I followed. She has recently been posting these amazing spreads so I figured for today’s post I will complete her “Self Care” spread for myself; for as good as I am at “helping others” with whatever may be their thingys, I really am quite trash at taking care of myself!
The spread is based on Maslow’s hierarchy of human needs which Tarotmum13 has explained and wonderfully on her page. I’m a high school teacher so I can’t help but always have to have my own spin on things and have to find a new way to explain the already explained. LOL So, bare with me.
Maslow’s hierarchy of needs is based on human survival so depending on one’s circumstances, “self-actualisation” is a luxury left for the fortunate while they are just trying to build their own solid foundation in life. The 5 tiers of the pyramid in much more baser terms, it can be thought of as:
Survival – Shelter – Belonging – Happiness – Fulfilment
I am incredibly fortunate to have the life that I have, all my basic needs are taken care of and so I haven’t had to deal with much trauma at all. It has allowed me the luxury to reflect on the philosophical essences of “what is life?” in relative leisure and comfort. I have been blessed with a relatively high standard of living which has afforded me the opportunity to reflect on life’s qualia – how one may measure the quality and the quantity of their years spent in existence.
Enough of my rambling preamble. I promised you a show! Today my friends, let us watch my dexterous fingers demonstrate to you a simple supple card trick.
For this spread, I used the Zillich Tarot Deck.
Immediate observances: This is a Thoth based deck and so the Knight is the consort of the Queen. They are beside each other, and both reversed. The top two tiers of Maslow’s pyramid are swell, and the bottom three are not doing so well. Already this is indicative of my neglect for my physical surroundings in favour of nurturing my metaphysical environment.
1) Physiological Needs: BODY CHECK ~ How can I improve my physical well-being?
Queen of Discs reversed: Actually do something about it. Get the hell up, put the phone down, step away from the laptop, and be mentally present in the physical present. Your indulgences are causing you more harm than good for it is causing you to neglect the needs of your cells by placating them with temporary saccharine solutions.
2) Safety Needs: HOME CHECK ~ What can I do to improve the energy in my Home?
4 of Wands reversed: Clean up, and get the fuck out. HAHA. Tidy up the house and then physically leave it to explore and wander through wonder lands. The energy at home has become far too stuffy and needs it’s own personal space in order to air out the thick and choking smug. Open the curtains by day, or light some candles be it night. Some small fires need to be ignited to help cleanse and clear the energy that fronts your home.
3) Social Needs (Love & Belonging): HEART CHECK ~ How can I improve the quality of my social interactions and relationships?
Knight of Discs reversed: Worry not about your outer social interactions nor relationships. This is time to focus inwards and ensure that your most closely guarded relationships are taken care of first. Stabilise and solidify your closest, current relationships; whether that’s with your partner, your best friend, or your inner source of strength and security. You’re not an alpha right now, you’re a beta. Assert your power where it is right now and don’t be afraid to cut off the toxic wastrels.
4) Esteem Needs: SOUL CHECK~ Which quality or ability do I have that I can feel really good about?
The Universe: Your soul is in full swing, baby. You’ve discovered the secrets of the universe for which you have been searching. You had everything you ever needed within you all along. Make sure you express gratitude, grace and humility for not everyone has had your fortunate. But don’t leave yourself out of the equation for without you, none of it would have even been possible.
- 5 things I feel good about:
- I have fucking amazing friends both online and offline. I am so damn blessed.
- I get to do what I love everyday – talk shit and teach stuff.
- Regardless of how I feel about myself, there are real people who exist that do love and/or like me a whole bunch.
- I am both smart enough and attractive enough to get by relatively hassle free.
- You contain a whole universe within, are sane and are still alive. That is a trifecta.
5) Self-Actualisation: SPIRIT CHECK ~ How can I take a step towards Spiritual Satisfaction?
9 of Cups: Take a breather and check out your bounty. It is rapturous and exciting, enticing and tantalising. Know that you are loved and supported, but don’t get too complacent and forget about the (million) things you wanted to try out! You love gaining experience
- 5 things in my life that make me happy:
- Laughing at stuff, usually myself. I crack me up.
- Fucking with people’s heads. I love banter, because I’m not much of a wanker.
- Learning stuff about stuff. I’m boring. I already know all my stories.
- Consuming food, drink, music, images, words. Noms, GET INSIDE ME
- Connecting with people. I’m annoying and affectionate.
If you care about me, you should take care of yourself. If you don’t really know how, that’s what I’m here for! I’ll help you help you help me by helping you. Just do the following easy steps
- Participate in some physical activity that gets your blood pumping.
- Eat something delicious, like an exotic fruit.
- Listen to some music and totally just have a dance party of 1! Or perhaps tell me the song and I might do the dancing for you.
- Give me your heart and or your wallet, I’ll look after them on your behalf. Fair is fair.
- Write something, express it. Put your thoughts and self into words.
- Talk to me; tell me about it.